Isaiah 41:10 (ESV)
Fear not, for I am with you;
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Depression drains you mentally, spiritually, and physically. Even energetic people who were once full of hope and drive can have trouble getting out of bed when suffering with depression. While overcoming depression isn’t quick or easy, it’s not impossible. These are steps you can take to rediscover yourself and start living again.
1. Say what God says about you. Find Scriptures that you can repeat throughout the day. Say them out loud. Write positive affirmations from God’s Word on paper and post them throughout your home in places you will look often.
2. Set the stage. Keep background music on in your home that sets the stage for a peace-filled and positive atmosphere.
3. Get outside. Make sure you’re seeing daylight for at least 30 minutes a day either through sunlight or a light made for imitating the effects of sunlight.
4. Look ahead. Let go of regret and stop looking at your past. Write down a list of dreams you have for your future.
5. Exercise. Getting in 30 minutes of cardio activity at least three times a week means those “runner’s high” endorphins get released regularly and help you work through and release stress.
6. Sleep. Turn your lights down and try to go to bed at the same time every night. Remember, a tired body and a quiet mind are the requirements for quality sleep. Turn the television off and engage in calming, quiet activities like reading, taking a warm bath, etc.
7. Socialize. Spend face time, not Facebook time, with close friends and family. Have some fun! Keep it simple and go to dinner, a movie, a sporting event, or just grab a cup of coffee together.
Pay attention to those times when you tend to dwell on the negatives in your life—both real or imagined—and stop them. It takes work and persistence, but you can tell yourself to stop rehearsing the negatives.
Dear Lord, help us to not dwell on the negative things in our life. Help us to take the steps we need to over come the down times in our life. In the Name of Jesus, Amen.
Post a Comment