John 13:34-35 (New International Version)
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
Take this quiz:
* Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
* Name the last five Heisman trophy winners
* Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
* Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
* Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
* Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.
How did you do?
The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:
* List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
* Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
* Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
* Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
* Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
* Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.
Was that easier?
The lesson? The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care. Are you a caring friend?
Dear Lord we pray that we would take the time to invest in others. We pray that we will make a difference in the life of others. In Jesus’ name, Amen.