Daniel 9:4-6 (NIV)
4“Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments, 5 we have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws. 6 We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes and our ancestors, and to all the people of the land.
O Lord, your sacrificial love surpasses any human affections. Your unfathomable grace exceeds any of our pitiful goodness. Your thoughts are higher than our twisted self-concerned deliberations. Your promises are as certain as the flowers that bloom in every determined season. You are far above all of our best intentions.
Please forgive of us who:
- Play church without really knowing You.
- Condemn others without even trying to walk in their shoes.
- Consider eternity as utterly boring, as an unending church service, without contemplating your promises uttered in your love letters addressed to us.
- Prioritize our to-do lists without considering time to draw close to you.
- Value our leisure more than the needs of the oppressed.
- Consume the riches of our planet without admiring the beauty of your creation.
- Neglect our marriages without assuming our responsibilities.
- Ignore the plight of our own children as if our passions are of more value.
- Are consumed with fear of the unknown, without even considering that trusting You will grant us inner peace.
- Make a nothing of eternity and an eternity of nothing.
- Are absorbed with thoughts of self instead of reaching out towards the unlovable.
- Are more concerned about our upcoming bills than sharing Your love with the hopeless.
I wonder where love is in those of us who profess to be Your followers. Have we drifted so far away that we cannot discern the footsteps left by You? Have we become so complacent with the fulfilling attractive promises of this world that the word "love" has become extinct among us? Have we forgotten the cost of Your supreme sacrifice?
Will you be the one that stands firm to the end?
Dear Lord, help us to become more loveable. Help us to have Your love become our foundation and guide. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.